Open Enrollment Assistance Available for Free To Monroe County Residents
(Monroe County, Fla) – Free assistance with the annual Open Enrollment application process is available now to Monroe County residents who would like to shop, compare and enroll or renew their health insurance plans with coverage beginning in the 2023 plan year.
People must enroll on or before December 15, 2022 for coverage to begin on January 1, 2023. People who enroll between December 16, 2022 and January 15, 2023 will have coverage starting February 1, 2023.
The attached “Did You Know?” flyer (available in English, Spanish & Haitian Creole) contains details about 4 local organizations who are able to provide free expert assistance with the process:
- Womankind (305-879-1965 or 305-294-4044)
- Health Insurance Navigation Program at Epilepsy Alliance Florida (877-553-7453)
- Community Health of South Florida (CHI) (Key West or Tavernier – 786-387-9260; Marathon – 305-926-0259)
- Rural Health Network (305-517-6613, ext. 517)
Carolyn Thomson is a federally certified “Health Insurance Navigator” with scheduled events throughout the Open Enrollment period to make it convenient for Monroe County residents to come see her in person to ask questions and get personalized help.
“If you need health coverage, or just have questions about health insurance, I’m here to help, and it’s FREE!” said Carolyn Thomson, ACA Health Insurance Navigator with Epilepsy Alliance Florida. “The best thing about my job is helping people understand the Marketplace, how Health Insurance works and the different options available to them. But my favorite thing to do is to enroll people in an affordable health Plan that fits their needs.”
Carolyn Thomson will be available at the following locations throughout the Open Enrollment period, which ends on January 15, 2023:
- Mondays from 10 AM – 2 PM: Gato Building, 1100 Simonton Street, Key West
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 AM -5 PM: Mount Sinai/Key West Medical Center, 2505 Flagler Avenue, Key West
Community Health of South Florida (CHI) will have a certified health counselor available in Marathon and Tavernier for in person free assistance. See attached CHI flyer for exact dates, times and locations.
The Florida Department of Health in Monroe County encourages everyone without health insurance to take advantage of the free assistance available in our community for the following reasons:
- 4 out of 5 consumers are eligible for health coverage for $10.00 a month or less.
- People cannot be denied Health Insurance due to any pre-existing conditions.
- Quality Health coverage is now more affordable with lower Premiums.
- All health plans must cover 10 essential benefits including Preventative Care, Emergency Services, Maternity and more.
- Health insurance provides financial assistance for medical expenses reducing the uncertainties of the high costs of sickness and injury.