Key West City Hall in July 4, 1876.
1876 The new city hall on Greene Street was dedicated by Mayor Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. The main address, A History of Key West, was to be given by former mayor Walter C. Maloney. Before he could finish speaking a fire alarm sounded and the crowd followed the firemen. The speech was later expanded and printed as “A Sketch of the History of Key West, Florida.”