WASHINGTON, DC – Yesterday, U.S. Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (FL-26), member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, unveiled new framework along with House Democrats for a five-year, $760 billion investment that would create an estimated 10 million jobs addressing some of the country’s most urgent infrastructure needs like the massive maintenance backlog, safer street designs, increasing resiliency, and putting the U.S. on a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector. This framework would bolster the Federal role in order to help communities around the country, like the ones in FL-26, undertake transformative projects that are smarter, safer, and made to last.
“Anyone who has driven in Miami knows that we need an infrastructure overhaul. I was proud to stand with my colleagues to unveil our Moving Forward infrastructure framework,” said Mucarsel-Powell. “This plan creates good-paying jobs while taking significant steps towards a low-carbon, sustainable future. It tackles gridlock on our highways while protecting workers and investing in protections for Americans’ drinking water.”
Among other things, the framework outlines major investments, including those in surface transportation, rail and transit systems, airports, ports and harbors, wastewater and drinking water infrastructure, brownfields and broadband.
It’s infrastructure investment that is smarter, safer and made to last with a framework that:
- Brings existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Sets a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensures a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provides safe, clean and affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritizes the safety of the traveling public.
- Helps combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expands broadband internet access, adoption for unserved and underserved rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Modernizes 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Creates family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Supports U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections