Man arrested after fleeing from Deputies 

A 46-year-old Summerland Key man was arrested early Wednesday morning after leading Deputies on a high speed chase from Big Pine Key to Marathon.

Chad Harold Hindenach was charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, DUI and using a license plate registered to a different vehicle.

The chase began at 12:54 a.m. when Deputy Zachary Eason saw a white Chevrolet Express van traveling approximately 100 mph while northbound on U.S. 1 near Mile Marker 32 on Big Pine Key. The van made no attempts to slow for Deputy Eason and Deputy Eason turned off his lights and sirens and stopped his pursuit for safety reasons. Deputy Eason reported the van was passing vehicles in no passing zones and continued to travel at 84 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Meanwhile, Deputy William Guerra responded to the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge on the 33000 block of the Overseas Highway at roughly the same time after a security guard there reported a white van just smashed a gate lock used to store bicycles. The guard stated the van, which matched the van Deputy Eason attempted to stop, fled the scene at a high rate of speed when the guard confronted the driver.

Deputy Megan Faison waited for the van Mile Marker 47, while Deputies Garrett Bragg and Desliles Mompoint waited at 47.5. Deputy Faison estimated the van passed her traveling faster than 80 mph. Deputy Faison attempted to stop the van, but it increased its speed.

Deputy Bragg estimated the van was traveling 70 mph in a 35 mph zone when it passed him. Deputies Bragg and Mompoint pulled onto U.S. 1 to attempt a traffic stop, but the van increased its speed to approximately 100 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Sgt. Lissette Quintero successfully deployed spikes near the Sheriff’s Office Substation in Marathon, deflating three of the van’s four tires. The van continued to flee with deflated tires. The van struck the curb multiple times at it approached 55th Street. The van turned onto 55th Street an appeared to stop before making a turn into the Tom Thumb gas station where Deputy Victor Cristea was waiting. Other Deputies quickly arrived.

The van finally stopped after attempting to avoid multiple Deputies at the gas station.

The driver, identified as Hindenach, was arrested at gunpoint.

There were no injuries reported.

Hindenach could face additional charges.

Hindenach was taken to jail.